Thursday, July 16, 2009

This past few days we've been in Perulapia. We've been working in the schools this with the teens and the youngins. There are a TON of kids here, but they're all very precious. Matt left on Monday, so we have Bethany and Clair with us now. They have been an amazing addition to the team. (And they BOTH of them speak spanish, which is extremely helpful to have two more translators!) I'm starting to pick up on some spanish. Every once in a while I'll be in a conversation and actually catch a few words. Normally I can't put those words together to make sense, but its still cool.

A few of us played soccer with the kids today. It was awesome. I may not be able have entire conversations this the teens here, but being able to play soccer with them definitely help build a relationship that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. We talked about HIV/AIDS to the teens today. It was a really heavy subject, but one that HAD to be addressed here. As sad as it is, they say HIV/AIDS is very very prevalent in this part of El Salvador. And the teens were really receptive during this presentation, which was surprising when considering the attention span of these 100 teenagers.

I got my first little taste of homesickness yesterday. Just remembered alot of stuff from the states that I miss. Like showers that aren't freezing and being able to make phone calls whenever I want to. I'm gunna make it though.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

fun that God uses even your soccer skills! so proud of you!!!